Do you believe in the power of data and think this power should be used to improve the lives of the people living in Scotland? Yes? Research Data Scotland needs you!
Now is a great time to join RDS as we take the first steps on our important journey.
A bit about us:
We are a newly set up charity and the result of a joint venture between Scottish Government, the University of Edinburgh and Public Health Scotland. Our work will be done in collaboration with these and other major contributors to the field of data driven research.
Our mission is to improve the economic, social and environmental wellbeing in Scotland by enabling access to and linkage of data about people, places and businesses for research in the public good.
By bringing together expertise, resources and capabilities from a range of existing data-led programmes across the public and private sectors and academia we will help researchers get access to the linkage-ready data they need to complete, potentially, life-saving or life-changing research more quickly, but without compromising on our duties regarding ethics, information governance or data security.
A bit about the job:
We are looking for a Charity Operations Manager. Your focus will be on ensuring the smooth running of RDS’ day-to-day operations. You’ll head the Charity Operations Management Team so will oversee the Finance, Corporate Governance and Communications functions. You will also be the main point of contact for matters regarding People, Facilities and Procurement.
Collaboration and partnership will be key features of the role. As Charity Operations Manager, you will work closely with the CEO, RDS Directors, the Board of Trustees and senior management in our partner organisations. This role has a strong focus on systems improvement, resource optimisation and stakeholder engagement.
We’re a start-up so, in line with your skillset, other bits and pieces will come your way.
A bit about you:
Did we mention we are a start-up? A flexible mind-set and a “can-do” attitude are essential. You are a self-starter, with high energy. You are organised, thrive on challenge and have proven project management experience. You are passionate about how data driven innovation can transform services and improve wellbeing and preferably have some knowledge of/experience in working with data, data platforms or data improvement methodologies.
A bit about the package:
You’ll have gathered by now that we are a work in progress. That said we’re committed to being a fair work employer so will encourage channels for effective voice, e.g. trade union recognition, we’ll invest in the development of our people and we’ll promote an inclusive workplace culture. What else: a 35-hour week, 33 days’ holiday, including public, but we don’t intend to have set closures, hybrid working, flexible working hours, open from day 1 to discuss flexible working arrangements, generous pension, based at the Bayes Centre in the centre of Edinburgh. This list will be added to, and you’ll help shape it.
Click here to download the application process. Contact HR@researchdata.scot to arrange an informal chat.
Job Description | Reference - RDS0005
Company: Research Data Scotland
Role: Charity Operations Manager
Pay: C2 - £50,000 - £59,000. Generally people start at the first point on the scale, but for roles with specialist skills and where there are recognised recruitment difficulties a level of flexibility will be considered.
Hours: 35 per week
Employment Type: Permanent. Happy to discuss a two-year secondment from similarly minded organisations providing you have prior agreement from your department director or line manager.
Closing date: 24/10/2021
Reports to CEO
Direct Reports: 3 - Business Manager, Finance Manager & Communications Manager
Key Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Guaranteeing the deliverables of the Charity Operations Management Team
- Establishing and maintaining the required operational structures and systems needed to deliver RDS’ Corporate Services: People, Procurement, Facilities, Corporate Governance, Finance etc.
- Developing, implementing and maintaining a set of corporate policies and strategies
- Ensuring we have the capacity and capability to provide services which support RDS Customers & Users including Government, Industry, Academia by recruiting and retaining the right people for RDS and providing them with access to the skills and resources they need
- Supporting and working collaboratively with the CEO, Directors, Senior Management and the Board on delivering strategic and organisation-wide objectives
- Preparing a range of regular management information reports for the CEO, Board, Directors, Senior Management and Service Delivery Partners as required
- Supporting and contributing to Board meetings and committees, by producing the relevant documentation and papers in a way that reflects RDS operational requirements
- Supporting business planning activities, annual budgeting and reporting and provide advice to the CEO and Board as required
- Chairing Operations Quarterly Meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
Experience of managing and leading diverse teams that improve the contribution made by each member of staff Essential
Experience of managing competing priorities with flexibility and resilience to adapt to changing business needs and drive continuous improvement Essential
Ability to communicate clearly in writing and face to face with a range of colleagues and wider stakeholders Essential
Ability to influence people at all levels in a clear, persuasive and tactful way Essential
Proficiency in IT including Microsoft Office Suite including Teams, HR systems, Payroll, Document Management Systems, Change Management Systems Essential
Knowledge or awareness of regulations governing charities or ability to learn or previous experience in a similar role in either the public or voluntary sector Desirable
Experience of setting and managing budgets Desirable
Project management qualification, Prince or similar Desirable
CIPD Level 5 or equivalent Desirable
Communication and Engagement Essential
Analysis and Use of Evidence Essential
People Management Essential
Improving Organisational Performance Essential