Do you believe in the power of data and think this power should be used to improve the lives of the people living in Scotland? Yes? Research Data Scotland needs you!
Now is a great time to join RDS as we take the first steps on our important journey.
A bit about us:
We are a newly set up charity and the result of a joint venture between Scottish Government, the University of Edinburgh and Public Health Scotland. Our work will be done in collaboration with these and other major contributors to the field of data driven research.
Our mission is to improve the economic, social and environmental wellbeing in Scotland by enabling access to and linkage of data about people, places and businesses for research in the public good.
By bringing together expertise, resources and capabilities from a range of existing data-led programmes across the public and private sectors and academia we will help researchers get access to the linkage-ready data they need to complete, potentially, life-saving or life-changing research more quickly, but without compromising on our duties regarding ethics, information governance or data security.
A bit about the job:
We are looking for a Communications Manager. Your focus will be on promoting the new organisation: our mission and our services. By telling the story of how data is used in Scotland and explaining RDS’ pivotal role in helping researchers, you will be key in developing the impact RDS has.
The post will be outward-facing, with a strong focus on project management and stakeholder engagement, often at a senior level. As Communications Manager, you will work closely with the CEO, RDS Directors, the Board of Trustees and Senior Management in Partner Organisations.
We’re a start-up so, in line with your skillset, other bits and pieces will come your way.
A bit about you:
Did we mention we are a start-up? A flexible mind-set and a “can-do” attitude are essential. You are a self-starter, with high energy. You are organised, like to stay ahead of the curve on industry trends and thrive on managing multiple projects with different deadlines. You are passionate about how data driven innovation can transform services and improve wellbeing and preferably have some knowledge of/experience in working with data, data platforms or data improvement methodologies.
A bit about the package:
You’ll have gathered by now that we are a work in progress. That said we’re committed to being a fair work employer so will encourage channels for effective voice, e.g. trade union recognition, we’ll invest in the development of our people and we’ll promote an inclusive workplace culture. What else: a 35-hour week, 33 days’ holiday, including public, but we don’t intend to have set closures, hybrid working, flexible working hours, open from day 1 to discuss flexible working arrangements, generous pension, based at the Bayes Centre in the centre of Edinburgh. This list will be added to, and you’ll help shape it.
Click here to download the application process. Contact HR@researchdata.scot to arrange an informal chat.
Job Description | RDS0004
Role: Communications Manager
Pay: C1 - £40,000 - £49,000. Generally people start at the first point on the scale, but for roles with specialist skills and where there are recognised recruitment difficulties a level of flexibility will be considered.
Hours: 35 per week
Employment Type: Permanent. Happy to discuss a 2-year secondment from similarly minded organisations providing you have prior agreement from your department director or line manager.
Closing date: 24/10/2021
Reports to Charity Operations Manager
Direct Reports 0
Key Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing and reviewing cross-cutting communications and engagement action plan for RDS to support the achievement of its objectives; this aligned with the Scottish Government’s wider communication objectives for Scotland’s Digital Strategy and AI Strategy
- Acting as the RDS brand guardian ensuring the new organisation's corporate identity and brand values are promoted, embedded and used consistently
- Managing the RDS website design and content, including Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimisation
- Identifying and maximising exposure opportunities for our key messages, including targeted specialist and sectoral journals/magazines/blogs as appropriate
- Ensuring the coherence and impact of data-related communications activities and platforms, including social media; defining KPIs for the various channels/media
- Ensuring that reactive communications work is well managed, consistent, on-message and up to date and that work on data is well connected to other strategic priorities for the Scottish Government
- Leading on the designing and drafting of promotional materials, collateral marketing products, and other related documents, including case studies as and when required
- Engaging with a wide range of stakeholders ensuring that major events and proactive communications activities are well planned and coordinated
- Engaging with complementary data-led programmes including the Administrative Data Research Programme, and other delivery partners in this collaboration
- Providing professional, trusted and credible communications advice to internal and external stakeholders, including researchers, data controllers and service delivery partners
- Management of the communications and marketing budget and external contractors.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
Experience of producing effective and creative communication strategies and related communication products Essential
Knowledge and understanding of communication practices, tools and techniques, including social media Essential
The ability to work in an environment that attracts heavy public scrutiny Essential
The ability to manage reactive work; prioritising and working to tight deadlines Essential
The ability to build and maintain robust relationships with a large and varied group of internal and external stakeholders Essential
Superior written and verbal communications skills Essential
Proficient IT skills - Microsoft suite, also CMS, HTML, CCS and Drupal Essential
Experience of setting and managing budgets Desirable
Degree in communications, public relations, marketing or related field Desirable
Communication and Engagement Essential
Analysis and Use of Evidence Essential
People Management Essential
Improving Organisational Performance Essential