Do you believe in the power of data and think this power should be used to improve the lives of the people living in Scotland? Yes? Research Data Scotland needs you!
Now is a great time to join RDS as we take the first steps on our important journey.
A bit about us:
We are a newly set up charity and the result of a joint venture between Scottish Government, the University of Edinburgh and Public Health Scotland. Our work will be done in collaboration with these and other major contributors to the field of data driven research.
Our mission is to improve the economic, social and environmental wellbeing in Scotland by enabling access to and linkage of data about people, places and businesses for research in the public good.
By bringing together expertise, resources and capabilities from a range of existing data-led programmes across the public and private sectors and academia we will help researchers get access to the linkage-ready data they need to complete, potentially, life-saving or life-changing research more quickly, but without compromising on our duties regarding ethics, information governance or data security.
A bit about the job:
We are looking for a Transformation & Information Director. Your focus will be on promoting the new organisation: our mission and our services. By telling the story of how data is used in Scotland and explaining RDS’ pivotal role in helping researchers, you will be key in developing the impact RDS has.
The post will be outward-facing, with a strong focus on project management and stakeholder engagement, often at a senior level. As Transformation & Information Director, you will work closely with the CEO, RDS Directors, the Board of Trustees and Senior Management in Partner Organisations.
We’re a start-up so, in line with your skillset, other bits and pieces will come your way.
A bit about you:
Did we mention we are a start-up? A flexible mind-set and a “can-do” attitude are essential. You are a self-starter, with high energy. You are organised, like to stay ahead of the curve on industry trends and thrive on managing multiple projects with different deadlines. You are passionate about how data driven innovation can transform services and improve wellbeing and preferably have some knowledge of/experience in working with data, data platforms or data improvement methodologies.
A bit about the package:
You’ll have gathered by now that we are a work in progress. That said we’re committed to being a fair work employer so will encourage channels for effective voice, e.g. trade union recognition, we’ll invest in the development of our people and we’ll promote an inclusive workplace culture. What else: a 35-hour week, 33 days’ holiday, including public, but we don’t intend to have set closures, hybrid working, flexible working hours, open from day 1 to discuss flexible working arrangements, generous pension, based at the Bayes Centre in the centre of Edinburgh. This list will be added to, and you’ll help shape it.
Click here to download the application process. Contact HR@researchdata.scot to arrange an informal chat.
Job Description | Reference - RDS0008
Role:Transformation & Information Director
Pay: D2 - £70,000 to £77,000. Generally people start at the first point on the scale, but for roles with specialist skills and where there are recognised recruitment difficulties a level of flexibility will be considered.
Hours: 35 per week
Employment Type: Permanent. Happy to discuss a 2-year secondment from similarly minded organisations providing you have prior agreement from your department director or line manager.
Closing date: 24/10/2021
Reports to Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports 2 – Legal Manager and Head of Digital Transformation and Delivery
Key Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Being an active member of the RDS senior management team, supporting and advising the CEO and Board to set wider strategic objectives for RDS and managing organisational risk
- Working with the RDS senior management team and RDS partners, develop and manage strategic transformation and operational budgets
- Leading programmes of digital, data, and business transformation that will provide a step change in the RDS service
- Designing and implementing data strategies and systems
- Working with RDS’ IT delivery partners to review and improve data architecture and technological platforms to improve the client experience
- Implementing data privacy policies, complying with data protection regulations and information security policies
- Responsibility for the creation, maintenance and implementation of relevant operational and strategic information technology policies and procedures
- Obtain and maintain relevant and sector-leading information security accreditation
- Establishing multi-disciplinary delivery teams working across a number of partner organisations
- Establishing appropriate operational metrics, reporting on performance and performance improvement targets
- Building a strong network of support for the transformation programmes across stakeholder groups
- Representing RDS at conferences, events, and other related activities
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
Experience in delivering programmes of digital, data and operational transformation Essential
Proven experience of driving technological change to improve delivery and have better impact Essential
Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of data management systems and their specifications Essential
Demonstrable ability to build a multi-disciplinary team and coach individuals. Essential
A track record in building strong working relationships with stakeholders, achieving consensus across differing perspectives. Essential
Ability to communicate in writing and face to face with a range of colleagues and wider stakeholders. Essential
Knowledge and application of Information Governance and data security issues Desirable
Good understanding of modern databases and information system technologies Desirable
Experience of planning, target setting, monitoring and reviewing progress. Desirable
BSc/BA in computer science, engineering or similar Desirable
Leading Others Essential
Communication and Engagement Essential
People Management Essential
Improving Organisational Performance Essential